Friday, April 25, 2014

DIY wood signs

I have been having a blast making re-purposed wood signs.

They are ridiculously easy and fun to make! And cost very little if you have the right equipment and time :)


 While I love the pallet look, I actually don't use pallet boards to make my signs. 

Using Pallet Boards:
Pros: 
  • Perfect re-purposed look
  • FREE
  • Easy to find
Cons:
  • Very hard to get apart 
  • Possibly harmful - since it is impossible to know where pallet boards have been or what has been stored on them it's possible they have had chemicals stored on them or been in the rain growing mold. They continue to re-use them so you have to decide if you are comfortable handling them
If you are making one sign I say go for the pallets, but if you are going to be making a bunch I would maybe reconsider. I use old wood and my sweet hubs puts them together for me! 

First decide if you want to have all the edges even or staggered, horizontal or vertically put together :) 


Once you have the shape sign you want, sand all the edges and front to make sure it's smooth. Splinters are no fun :( 


I then add this amazing product I love! I got it at Lowes for $8.99 and I have hardly made a dent and have used it for at least 10 projects. Dab a little on a rag or old T-Shirt and rub liberally into the wood until you have the darkened look you want. 



I use a mix of pre-cut words touched up by hand. My amazing mother-in-law has a cricut so I can cut any words out of it, making it way easier! But you could also print any font offline and then cut out to use as a stencil. 


This is my favorite kind of stencil brush because it is tightly packed an won't let the paint bleed under your stencil. 

Once dry, carefully peel off so the paint doesn't bleed.  

If needed, touch up with a fine brush and make sure all the letters are smooth. 






Have fun and happy crafting! 




No comments: