Saturday, July 7, 2012

Mmmmm Cookies!


You MUST MUST MUST try these! They are hands down the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've ever tried! I've tried more than I can count. Ones where you have to do a million little steps like letting your butter or eggs get to room temp, keeping your dough cold so it won't flatten like a pancake, sifting or not sifting dry ingredients, etc etc etc. All in hope of getting an amazing cookie out of it! I love how straight forward and easy these are and every time I make them people LOVE them! 


They are actually a recipe my husband made all growing up from a children's cook book (complete with adorable pictures of a spoons and spatulas!) 


I always use dark chocolate chips (is there anything other than dark chocolate?) but you can use any kind you want!  


Enjoy!!! 


P.S. I must admit, I typed "chocolate chip cookie" into google images so that you would have a visual! Ours were gone before I remembered to take a picture :) : ) 



Darrell's "Forget-the-Cookies- Just-Give-Me-That-Batter" Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Makes about 24 cookies
I've tried an awful lot of chocolate chip cookie recipes in my quest for The Best; I think I may have found it with this one -- thin with crisp edges and a chewy center. (Healthful options: Substitute 1/3 cup whole wheat flour for the same amount of all-purpose flour, or raisins for the chocolate chips.)
Note from FOODday: The dough contains a raw egg, so despite the title, we don't recommend sampling before cooking.

  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Melt the butter in a small pan or in the microwave and add both sugars while it's hot. Stir and set aside. While the butter mixture is cooling, mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk the egg with the vanilla in another bowl, add the butter mixture to it and stir.
Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the flour mixture and mix well. Add the chocolate chips and optional nuts, and stir until everything is mixed together. Put the dough in the refrigerator to chill for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees about 10 minutes before you take the cookie dough out of the refrigerator. Place walnut-sized balls of dough 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, watching carefully. DO NOT OVERBAKE! The cookies should be moist and chewy, and lightly golden. Let the cookies cool on a rack.

No comments: